Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Commander Cream #12

Do I weep for the past? I rarely indulge in weeping about my own choices. I made them, and there’s no unmaking them. But at times I do weep for choices outside of my control. I cannot help crying when I realize that this is a sick world we live in. The Holocaust, Rwanda, Sudan, Sierra Leone…I had no impact on any of these horrific events, yet they still draw tears. I weep for my inability to influence these events and fear that in the future I will still have no power to stop them. Somehow, though, this is skirting the question. Weeping and fearing for distant events really doesn’t address the principle of this question.

I have a simple philosophy for life: no regrets. But there's a painful difference between having a philosophy and living it. I have made bad choices. I have hurt my friends. I have been left weeping beside a grave. I cannot undo any of those things. I cannot sacrifice my life in a vain attempt to erase my greatest mistakes. No regrets? If you’re human, it’s not really possible.

Maybe I should come with a warning label (courtesy of Johnny Cash):


“I will let you down
I will make you hurt”



Perhaps I need a philosophy with a lighter note. The Pirates of the Caribbean might work: “Take what you can. Give nothing back.” No, I’m not talking about theft or selfishness. I’m talking about life experiences. When a friend needed me, I wasn’t there. I can’t undo that. Trying to forget would not make me a happier or a better person. So I won’t make any attempt to give it back. Instead, I will occasionally indulge in a bout of tears, remember my failures, repeat my vows to do better, and carry on.

As for the future, the only way to avoid fearing is to avoid thinking. I don’t know that it’s possible to live solely in the present. If you want to get anywhere, you must have goals. And that’s really the trouble. When you commit to a goal, you give the world the power to disappoint you. One way to avoid this is solid, old-fashioned pessimism. A good friend of mine explained why he was a pessimist: if things go wrong, you’re expecting it. If things go right, you’re pleasantly surprised. I simply do not have the temperament to always expect failure.

So I don’t expect failure, rather I fear failure. I fear that once again I will let down a friend. I fear that someone depending on me will learn just how unreliable I can be. I don’t fear for myself. If my complete and utter lack of common sense hasn’t killed me by now, then I figure that I’m pretty safe. But are other people safe from me, or even safe while counting on me? I weep for when they haven’t been. And I fear for when they will not be.


"What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus that's depressing. can't you lighten it up at all?

7:49 PM  
Blogger CyranoDeBergerac said...

I've been there too.

In seventh grade I was in one of the darker places I've ever been to. I had a friend who began to depend on my help. One day, I was too busy attending to other affairs to make myself available to him. Half an hour later he was dead because I didn't help him.

I look back on it and I know that I could have seen it coming, but I didn't expect it at the time. In the end you accept it, you do what you can to make it right and keep it from happening again.

The hardest thing in the world is to let the albotross fall from your neck. That, and find wedding guests to tell your story to.

11:21 AM  
Blogger CyranoDeBergerac said...

The more posts of yours I striking similarities in our backgrounds. (underachievment, dirt mounds, getting trapped in small dark spaces.) One of the more irritating parts of the game was reading your stuff, relating to it so closely that it stirs up some forgotten memory of a great story, then not being able to post about it because you had already done a better job of writing it. It is your gift.

Its easy to think that you're the only one who's lived a life anything like yours, but in the end we are never alone.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home