Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Ivroy Angel #4

Rough few days. The younger brother who graduated just told me he has multiple personalities. Twenty-three of them, the dominant three being two lesbian lovers and their half-demon daughter. The birth personality doesn't come out anymore, not even to talk to me. I don't know what to do. Sounds like a bad joke with a good punchline. "So a guy walks into a bar and says, 'three beers- one for my friend, one for myself, and one for my lesbian lover.' The barkeep, confused, puts three beers on the counter. The man downs them all himself.' " Killing myself has its advantages, but it also has no solvency and the harms outweigh.

Military. Damn the need to go to war. I love the West Wing with a passion, watch it with the same glow in my eyes as a crack-addict, but sometimes it bothers me that everyone on there is just so smart, clean, sparkly and just damn right. I see politicians as plastic dolls in my shiny tv-diarama box who never consider their own errors, spouting little catch-phrases instead of constructing real thoughts. Our representative came to town and spoke, telling us all this stuff about how the U.S. intervention in Iraq was illegal yet never once talked mentioned the words "Sadaam Hussein" or "weapons of mass destruction" (this was just after the invasion). He was full of flowery dumb phrases on the importance of international law (ha! Like the UN is a God) and also traditional, uncreative, preaching-to-the-choir Bush-bashing. I stood up and asked him, "Congressman, when do you think the U.S. should intervene for the sake of human rights?" There was a murmur around the room did someone just actually offer criticism and the man sat there in his nice suit and tie for a full thirty seconds, unable to respond until he weakly talked about some bullshit about how we should never intervene without proper multilateralism. Proper procedure and bureacracy! I'm not a Republican, but I despise the UN and its corruption and its moral superiority when they've messed up in so many times in so many places.

I didn't ask the congressman that question because I disagreed with him. I asked because I was frustrated. It all seems very partisan to me. Democrats are willing to use to army in cases where Republicans don't want to, and vice-versa. A few years ago, it was the Republicans criticizing the U.S. for being too unilateralist as we hit Kosovo with questionable UN approval. Now it's reversed.

There are no morals in foreign policy. The U.S. can't be a world policeman. Pragmatism means turning a blind eye to human rights abuses, waving pieces of paper that nobody's willing to enforce, and just in general being gits locked up in our ivory tower. I want to see Mugabe living in poverty and fear with his subjects. I want to see the Iranian Mullahs out of power. I want to see Tibet free and China more democratic. I think it all could be done if we were willing to face a little sacrifice.

Even post september 11th, however, we are a nation with no backbone. We bark louder than we bite, our character is as slippery as mud. Oh we all agree that someone should do something, but not us if there's even the slightest possible risk of hostages being dragged alive across the pavement. And maybe that's a good thing. Maybe it stops our hegemony. But damnit, I bet the tortured journalists in Myanmar could stand a little hegemony if it meant an end to pain.

Sometimes, there are situations that have no solutions. Big Sister can't solve everything, can't even protect even those closest to her, because of stupid limits that God imposed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home