Monday, June 28, 2004

Black Knight #8

I'm very sorry about my failure to post on the last TKO; I thought it was a great TKO and I have a ton of thoughts on it. I'll probably post my answer late, sometime soon, but for now, I want to answer this one.

I had a strange insight while reading this TKO. Initially I thought that I was always a pretty honest guy, even abrasively so; but then I realized that wasn't really true. I thought of the friend that talks to me that I pretend to be interested in (conversationally) and am not; I thought of people I've pretended to respect and don't. I've thought of times I pretended to care about some minor tragedy or drama that, in truth, struck me as whiny. I've thought of times that I've held my tongue when I should have, a lie of omission.

I started to freak out a little bit. What am I? Some kind of huge liar? I lie to everyone.

Then I realized I had found the answer to a question I had been wondering for some time; what it is that divides my friends from the person I consider my love, a soulmate. It's real, bleeding honesty. It's not sex (although sex is an outgrowth of such honesty, if done right) and it isn't spending a lot of time together (although it's nice to hang out with someone who tells you the truth). It made me realize why even tiny lies are so dangerous, with the obvious exception of concealed surprise parties.

I stopped freaking out and felt kinda good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home